Technology is an essential component of today’s workplace and is a ubiquitous component of our society. Technology can be a useful tool to support students’ engagement in and learning of mathematics. Designed for middle and high school pre-service and practicing teachers, this professional development course allows participants to learn, along with colleagues from other schools and around the world, instructional practices that utilize technology to support students’ mathematical learning.
- Describe the different affordances of technology to support students’ learning of mathematics.
- Critically evaluate and use materials for teaching mathematics with technology and make decisions about appropriate and effective use of mathematics technology.
- Analyze students’ learning and thinking about mathematical ideas when students use technology.
- Observe students’ work with technology and pose questions that probe and push students’ mathematical thinking.
- Engage students in productive discourse that focuses on important mathematical ideas when using technology-enhanced mathematics tasks.
Friday Institute’s Commitment to Educators, Students Continues Amidst Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak
The Friday Institute is continuing its commitment to supporting educators, collaborating with its community and providing resources for teaching and learning while educators and students are at home.
EdNC: The Joy of Math: An Interview with Dr. Hollylynne Lee
Friday Institute Faculty Fellow Hollylynne Lee, Ph.D., recently received the UNC Board of Governors 2020 Award for Excellence in Teaching. Learn more about her, her joy of math, and her free online course for math educators.
Professor Hollylynne Lee Receives 2020 UNC Board of Governors Award for Excellence in Teaching
Professor Hollylynne Lee, Ph.D., fell in love with teaching math as an undergraduate and ultimately decided she could have the biggest impact on education by helping to prepare future teachers. Now, her efforts are being recognized with the 2020 UNC Board of Governors Award for Excellence in Teaching.