In response to the spread of COVID-19 and to help ensure the health and safety of the campus and broader community, we have transitioned to an online MSEN Summer Scholars Camp.
Thank you for your interest in the NC-MSEN Pre-College Program Summer Scholars Camp at NC State!
Online STEM Camp 2021
Biotechnology, Engineering and Technology, or Physics
June 21 – July 2, 2021
Mon-Fri (9:00AM – 2:00PM)
Enter the world of biotechnology, engineering & technology, and physics, students will have the option to learn about one of these subjects. All students will take a class in math which will be aligned with their school’s math course for the 2021-22 school year. In addition, each student will take a course in communications which will focus on writing, ACT preparation for high school students, and a book will be read. For the science component, students will have the option to select one of three options: biotechnology, engineering & technology, or physics.
Through Biotechnology, students will apply critical thinking and hands-on experiential learning to explore common laboratory techniques, current scientific problems and examine the ethical debate over such research. In addition, students will engage in applied activities such as electrophoresis and DNA extraction to learn more about the topics of genetics and chromosomes.
In our Engineering & Technology course, students will apply critical thinking and hands-on experiential learning to design and build authentic robots and Internet of Things electronics. Applications of the engineering design process, circuits, coding, and building will provide authentic STEM career awareness and problem-solving experiences. Students will use Whitebox Learning, Tinkercad, and other industry-based education software for design and performance coding.
In the Physics course, high school students will take an “AP Physics Bootcamp” course to prepare themselves for AP Physics I or AP Physics C: Mechanics. Middle school students take the “Wonderful World of Physics” where they will learn real-world applications of physics and learn how it connects to other STEM disciplines. They will learn about Newtonian motion, electric circuits, optics, and quantum computing.
A kit that contains materials and supplies for each science course will be developed and given to each student.
Our camp is designed to provide STEM enrichment via fun, hands-on, critical thinking based challenges that will prepare our scholars for their futures in STEM.
Who Should Apply
Our two-week STEM Camp welcomes underserved students as well as any students with a love for STEM and interested in the pursuit of four-year college/university study. The camp is open to rising 7th through 12th graders.
|Middle School||High School|
|Biotechnology, Engineering & Technology, or Physics||Biotechnology, Engineering & Technology, or Physics|
The camp will be held online.
How to Apply
Please read the following document before completing the registration/application:
Please complete the following to register/apply:
- Registration/Application: https://forms.gle/8PJXN1pescjYhcAYA
- MSEN Consent, Expectations, and Parental Permission form: MSEN Program Expectations and Parental Permission
- Mandatory Online Parent Orientations (parents are only required to attend one meeting)
- Thursday, April 8 @ 7 p.m. – Zoom (must register for camp in advance in order to attend this event)
- Wednesday, April 28 @ 7 p.m. – Zoom (must register for camp in advance in order to attend this event)
- Tuesday, May 11 @ 7 p.m. – Zoom (must register for camp in advance in order to attend this event)
- Wednesday, June 2 @ 7 p.m. – Zoom (must register for camp in advance in order to attend this event)
- Documentation to submit:(PowerSchool report or report card MUST have child’s printed name on it)
- Rising 7th-9th graders – most current 2020-21 report card or PowerSchool report
- Rising 10th-12th graders – unofficial transcript or PowerSchool report (with current grade point average)
A deposit of $150 which will count as part of the overall payment is due April 30.
Please submit all documents such as report cards and parental permission/consent forms to our general email address.
Registration and payment deadline is May 31, 2021.
Questions? Contact us at 919.513.8534 or firstname.lastname@example.org.