2017 Friday Medalists Announced
Seven Innovative Superintendents of Rural North Carolina School Districts to Receive 2017 Friday Medal
The Friday Institute for Educational Innovation at NC State University’s College of Education is pleased to announce that this year we are honoring Innovative Superintendents of North Carolina Rural Districts with the 2017 Friday Medal. In collaboration with the NC School Superintendents Association we have selected the following seven superintendents to each receive the award, which we will present to them both for their own accomplishments in improving student learning and implementing digital-age approaches to teaching and learning, and as representatives of the many other dedicated and innovative rural superintendents who serve the students of the State.
- • Darrin Hartness – Davie County
- • Anthony Jackson – Vance County
- • Jeff McDaris – Transylvania County
- • Janet Mason – Rutherford County
- • Lynn Moody – Rowan Salisbury
- • Patrick Miller – Greene County
- • Robert Taylor – Bladen County
In recognition of the commitment of Bill and Ida Friday to educational excellence, the Friday Medal honors significant, distinguished and enduring contributions to education through advocating innovation, advancing education, and imparting inspiration. This award is given annually to selected individuals who embody the mission and spirit of the Friday Institute. Some of the prior recipients are:
- • Judge Howard E. Manning, Jr.; Former Superior Court Judge who oversaw enforcement of Leandro v. State of North Carolina
- • Hon. Bob Wise; President of the Alliance for Excellent Education and Former governor of West Virginia
- • Muriel Thomas Summers; Principal of A.B. Combs Leadership Elementary School and co-author of The Leader in Me
- • Dr. David H. Rose; faculty member at Harvard University and co-founder and chief education officer for the Center for Applied Special Technology (CAST)
- • Dr. Bill McNeal; Transformation School Coach in Durham and the 2004 National Superintendent of the Year
- • Hon. James B. Hunt, Jr; Former Governor of North CarolinaThis award is given annually to those who embody the mission and spirit of the Friday Institute.
The 2017 Friday Medal ceremony will take place on November 15, 2017 at the Friday Institute for Educational Innovation. Click here to learn more about the award and to view past recipients.